Divorce Attorney Interview Questions
Experience & Style
- How long have you been practicing as an attorney?
- How many matrimonial cases have you handled?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to matrimonial cases?
- What is your experience in cases involving custody? (if appropriate).
- What do you think about mediation? Litigation? Collaborative Law Process? What percentage of each is your typical case load?
- How would you describe your style? (don’t say this to the lawyer but look for - more of a diplomat or a "Go for the throat" type?)
- Where do you typically try your cases? Helpful to know if there are multiple courthouses/locations in your county.) Which do you prefer and why?
- Tell me a little bit about the judges.
- Can you provide me with references? (Often this is a no because of confidentiality concerns which are legitimate.)
- What is your hourly rate? What is the shortest time period for which I can be billed? ( e.g. 6 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes) What are the hourly rates of the others working on my case? Will I be billed for time firm members brief each other? How?
- Can my case be handled for a set fee instead of an hourly rate? (not usually possible).
- How are phone calls/emails/texts handled in terms of billing?
- What services are charged for, i.e. copying, court fees etc.?
- Is a retainer required? If so, how much?
- How do you bill? How are questions about fees addressed?
- Can I make payments? Do you accept credit cards?
- Will others in your firm be working on my case? Who are they, what work will they do, and what are their backgrounds?
- What’s your timeframe for returning calls? Emails? Texts?
- How long does it usually take to get on your calendar for a meeting?
- Do you usually prepare and use agendas?
- What expectations do you have of your clients?
- Based on state laws, what is the range of what I am likely to receive in regards to child support, maintenance and equitable property distribution?
- Based on the information I've given you about my case what is the range I should pay/receive in maintenance? Child support?
- Have you handled cases where a client had similar circumstances to mine? What was the best outcome? What was the worst?
- Based on the information I’ve given you about my case, what approach do you think would work best and be most cost-effective for me – mediation, collaborative divorce, or traditional representation?
- What percentage of mediation cases are completed successfully? Collaborative Divorce? Traditional Process without going to trial?
- My spouse is using _____________________, have you ever worked with, or against him/her?
- If you have worked against him/her what was the outcome? What type of lawyer is he/she?
- (If you have multiple courthouse locations) Which location do you think best for my case to be heard? Why?
- Which judges might tend to be a positive for my case? Why? Who might be a negative for my case? Why?